Thursday, September 9, 2010

What's it all about...

So I work with gang members, drug addicts, and criminals.
Yup, I help them change their lives, stop going to jail, stay clean, and at the core of it, learn a trade.

We deal with photovoltaic systems, or in laymen terms, solar energy...

I work for Homeboy Industries. My boss is a Jesuit priest named Gregory Boyle, a priest who loves cholos, cholas, bloods, and crips. I help Father Gee, as he is better known amongst the "homies", with a program that trains at-risk people in how to design and install solar energy systems. That's right, the homeboys and homegirls are going green!
Gangster's Paradise...


My best friend and I have decided to document through pictures and film the next group of individuals that goes through the program...Homeboy Industries will place them in a trade course in a Los Angeles public school, pay their school fees, and help them succeed in any way possible.

Me...



They are a group of people from all different racial backgrounds, different life stories, but they all have one thing in common: they all want to change their lives and they all are looking for a better future.

My new guys...

Ronnie, Robert, and Tony

Michael R., Van, and Kevin


Elias

Daniel A.

Ezell and David

James and Sid

Girard

Diego and Jose C.

Michael H.

We will do our best to tell their story, we will do our best to tell you how they attempt to slip out of the darkness, and try to shine in the light.

2 comments:

  1. This is incredible! What an awesome deal... My best wishes and prayers go out to all the homeboys and homegirls that enter Homeboy Industries. I am sure a difficult decision and alot of work ahead of them to change their thinking, behaviors, and lives. Best wishes and way to go Homeboy Industries!!! Debbie G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work. Hope to see our progress and gossip as our course continues.

    ReplyDelete